Our Georgia History
 

Appling County
December 15, 1818 Appling County created
  Daniel Appling
  Creation of Georgia Counties
  Appling County


Name derivation:Named in honor of Daniel Appling, a hero of the War of 1812
Acquisition: Treaty of Fort Jackson (Creek, August 9, 1814) and Treaty of the Creek Agency (Creek, January 22,1818)
Taken from: Original county
Counties created from: Atkinson, Bacon County, GA, Brantley, Charlton, Clinch, Coffee, Echols, Jeff Davis County, GA, Pierce County, GA, Telfair, Ware County, GA, and Wayne
Cities: Baxley, Bethel, Davis, Eason Bluff, Falling Rocks, Graham, McTier, Pine Grove, Prentiss, Spring Branch, Surrency, Zion

Web sites:
National Register of Historic Places in Appling County, Georgia
Baxley/Appling County
Appling County, Georgia, links

This southeast Georgia county was created from the Creek Land cessions of August 9, 1814 and January 22, 1818 and named for Colonel Daniel Appling, a hero in the war of 1812. The county seat is Baxley and the largest employer in 2000 was Georgia Power's Hatch Nuclear Power Plant located on the Altamaha River.




Return to Index


FrontHistory 101Early GeorgiaAmerican IndiansSearch
WarsPeopleTimelineListsPlacesPoetry




Golden Ink
Georgia's innovative design group


Legal Notice
Privacy Policy
Copyright