Our Georgia History

Murder of Julie Love
July 11, 1988 Buckhead resident Julie Love runs out of gas on her way home from a business meeting. Her car is found between her boyfriend's home and a gas station
  Murder of Julie Love
July 28, 1989 Janice Weldon tells police that Emmanuel Hammond and Maurice Porter left the body of Julie Love near Grove Park Place.
  Murder of Julie Love
September 12, 1989 Emmanuel Hammond is indicted for the murder of Julie Love
  Murder of Julie Love
March 7, 1990 A jury finds Emmanuel Hammond guilty of malice murder, felony murder, kidnapping and armed robbery in the death of Julie Love
  Murder of Julie Love
March 8, 1990 A jury sentances Emmanuel Hammond to death in the murder of Julie Love
  Murder of Julie Love
February 22, 1993 Emmanuel Hammond, convicted for the murder of Julie Love begins his first appeal of his conviction. He will appeal his conviction 4 more times at the state level
  Murder of Julie Love
June 2, 2003 Emmanuel Hammond, convicted murderer of Julie Love, files his first appeal at the federal level. He will file 6 more appeals at the federal level.
  Murder of Julie Love
January 10, 2011 Emmanuel Hammond, convicted of the murder of Julie Love files a petition for writ of certiorari in the United States Supreme Court, which was denied.
  Murder of Julie Love
January 25, 2011 Emmanual Hammond is executed by the state of Georgia
  Murder of Julie Love

Teacher Julie Love
Julie Love was last seen by her fiancé the morning of July 11, 1988. He called her that evening and she was not in. He left a message on her answering machine. He left another message the next day. When she did not return his calls, he thought at first that she was "sort of having her way" and "getting back at me a little bit." However, when she failed to return his call the next day he became concerned. He began calling her friends and family and discovered she had not been in touch with any of them either. He went to her apartment that evening with a policeman. She was not home, and they did not feel they had a right to enter her apartment at that time. However, after her car was discovered abandoned and out of gas half a mile from her fiancé’s house, a formal investigation was begun by the police. The investigation proved fruitless for over a year.

In August of 1989, Janice Weldon, a 34-year-old stripper at an Atlanta lounge and intimate companion of 26-year-old Emmanuel Hammond, had him arrested on charges of aggravated assault after he tried to strangle her. While he was in jail on these charges, Weldon reported to police that Hammond and his cousin Maurice Porter were responsible for the disappearance of Julie Love. Police followed up her report by placing a "body bug" on her and monitoring conversations between her and Maurice Porter. Porter made several incriminating statements, and he and Hammond were arrested. Porter confessed and led police to skeletal remains which were identified by her childhood dentist and next-door neighbor as the mortal remains of Julie Love. Porter and Weldon testified at Hammond’s trial.

According to them, Porter, Weldon and Hammond were driving around the evening of July 11, 1988 in Hammond’s maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan. They spotted Julie Love walking by the side of Howell Mill Road. At Hammond’s command, Porter, the driver, stopped so Hammond could ask her if she wanted a ride. Love answered in the negative, and pointed to a nearby house, claiming she lived there. She walked up the driveway and they drove off. Before they got out of sight, however, Hammond saw her returning to the road. Porter was told to turn around and drive by in the opposite direction, this time with his lights on bright. They drove past Julie Love again and saw farther up the road a car which they correctly deduced was hers. Hammond told Weldon to drive, and they returned to Julie Love. Weldon stopped the car, and Hammond, armed with a sawed-off shotgun, jumped out, grabbed the victim and threw her into the back of the car.

They drove to Grove Park Elementary School (which Hammond had attended). Love’s purse was searched and Hammond instructed Weldon and Porter to take her bank cards to an automated bank teller machine and get money, using an access number given them by Love. Hammond remained at the school with his sawed-off shotgun and Julie Love. The other two returned later without money or the bank cards. The access number they had tried to use was incorrect and the machines had kept the cards. Hammond, angry at this result, struck Love repeatedly with the shotgun. Porter then raped Julie Love.

Love, pleading not to be hurt, told Hammond she had more cards at home. They drove to Love’s apartment complex but were deterred from entering by the presence of a security guard at the entrance to the complex.

At this point, Weldon demanded she be allowed to go home. She was dropped off at her apartment and the remaining three returned to the Grove Park school. Hammond got clothes hangers and a sheet from the trunk of the car. He tied Love’s feet together, tied her hands behind her back and wrapped a sheet around her body. He then wrapped a coat hanger around her neck, and, telling Porter to pull one end while he pulled the other, tried to strangle Love. She struggled and broke free. Hammond got her under control and retied her hands. He told Porter to drive to Grove Park, where they stopped by the side of the road. Leaving Porter with the car, Hammond took Julie Love into the woods. Porter heard a gunshot. A few minutes later Hammond returned alone, his face flecked with blood.

Hammond returned home at 7:00 a.m. that morning. Weldon asked him what had happened to Julie Love. He did not want to talk about it then, but later told her that after Love "put her hands in front of her face," he "blew the side of her face off." He dumped her body in a trash pile and covered her up with a board.

The sawed-off shotgun was recovered from the person Hammond sold the gun after killing Ms. Love with it. Love's earrings were also recovered, having been pawned for $140 by Janice Weldon. After his arrest, Hammond gave Weldon’s photograph and address to an inmate due to be released soon, and offered him $20,000 to kill her.

Additionlly, the state offered evidence that on three previous occasions Hammond kidnapped young women and robbed or attempted to rob using their bank cards to get money from automated teller machines. Escalating his crime spree, he stabbed the third woman numerous times and left her for dead in a wooded area.

Return to Index

FrontHistory 101Early GeorgiaAmerican IndiansSearch

Golden Ink
Georgia's innovative design group

Legal Notice
Privacy Policy